Pages

Tuesday 15 April 2014

Student Union Elections

Hello people, how are you?

Good, I am glad. I am also well. I have finally submitted all of my coursework! However unfortunately I still have exams to revise for, so sadly I am not totally free, at least not yet...

I still am however ridiculously busy still. This week in addition of working, starting revision, I also have family visiting which I have to entertain, fun. But no, that is me just being cynical and harsh; Of course it is nice to have family visiting, just at a very annoying time somewhat.

Anyway, in my previous blogs I have mentioned about the Student Union elections. In every university, the Students Union is a democratically elected body. Elected by students for students. This is the second year that I was involved in the elections. The first I was simply campaigning for my friend's political party, who I actually did think were the best people for the job. This year however I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to run myself as a part time officer. I was elected Volunteering Officer by a majority and I am very happy with this position. As a part time officer, I will have this role in addition to completing my third year of study. What will I do as Volunteering Officer? Well, that is a good question. It is a new role that has only been introduced this year, so I don't really have any predecessors to compare myself to; which is good and bad I suppose. Nevertheless I do have a few things lined up and I am looking forward to getting stuck in.

Student Union elections are a fantastic opportunity to get further involved in your union and make an actual and positive change. It's neither as scary nor intense as you may thing, while having a good political understanding is helpful. The Union will support you by offering seminars and presentations about the elections to give you the best possible chance. Similar to a real election, you have to write your own manifestos, attend and speak at Candidate Question Times (also known as hustings) and have a limited amount of resources, so you have to be clever about the options you make.


To finish off, I would highly recommend getting involved in your Student’s Union. Never ever in your life will you have access to an organisation like this that exists purely for your benefit. So whether it’s working for them, helping run a sports team or the committee, or standing for election, it all benefits you! It gives you skills, opportunities and chances that you’re never get elsewhere in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment